Ryan Trosen

Ryan Trosen

Saturday, June 10, 2017

The big ask...holding back nothing.


Often this is how I feel when I am trying to ask for something big from God. I dance around the real thing that I want from God. A little over 2 years ago I was challenged in a life group that I was in. Our leader Pete shared that his challenge for us this week was not to ask God for things that were small but to really go after and ask for what we wanted God to do in our lives.

"I wanted God to do something big but I was terrified He would actually do it."

In the picture above my son is dancing to the Beach Boys "Barbara Ann". They love when I put the old vinyl on. You see they go all out when the songs comes on, I wonder why they are so into it? Part of it is that they are kids and they go all out in most of what they do. In my life in November 2014 I wanted God to do something. I wanted God to do something big in our lives but I was terrified He would actually do it.

I know that for me fear is one thing that holds me back from really going after what I know God has called me to. For a long time in my life this was how I felt:

It used to be that I never felt safe with myself unless I was performing flawlessly. Unwittingly I had projected onto God my feelings about myself. I felt safe with Him only when I saw myself as noble, generous, and loving, without scars, fears, or tears. Perfect! -Brennan Manning


For the longest time I felt as if I had to have it all together to go after the BIG ask from God. November of 2014 Sarah and I were asked to leave all that we knew in Minnesota and move to a town in Marshaltown, IA to help plant a church. At that time were were also in the waiting process to be matched with a baby (who turned out to be our youngest). So my big asks were this: God I need you to either send us to Marshalltown or leave us here and have us matched with a baby by Christmas (about a month). 

In that month of asking BIG, God provided a job opening near Marshalltown and matched and placed a little boy in our arms. 

What is your BIG ask? 

Maybe you are having some tough times in your personal faith? Maybe you are feeling as if you do not matter to God? 

In my life we have a few big asks right now. 

At Restore we have some really big asks that we are praying for. 

I want to challenge you to call out for at least 1 big ask this summer with me. What will you write down and pray for each day? What happens if God wants to answer your prayers and he is just waiting for you to ask BIG of him?

No comments:

Post a Comment