Ryan Trosen

Ryan Trosen

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

In a pit with a lion...

It is odd when you are feeling like you are being chased? I remember as a teen playing capture the flag at night on a college campus. When I knew someone was coming after me the last thing I wanted to do was turn around and go after them.

Our fears in life can be overwhelming at times. In my life I tend to be this way in many areas of my life. I have found ways to attack this and it comes from an odd portion of scripture.

In 2 Samuel 23 the writer is talking about the men that go to battle with King David. As you might expect he has the best of the best, but a few of them are his main men, his mighty men, as it were. They give the resume of these men in this chapter and one warrior Benaiah has a really crazy resume.

The story picks up in verse 20 by telling it like this:

Benaiah son of Jehoiada, a valiant fighter from Kabzeel, performed great exploits. He struck down Moab’s two mightiest warriors. He also went down into a pit on a snowy day and killed a lion. And he struck down a huge Egyptian. Although the Egyptian had a spear in his hand, Benaiah went against him with a club. He snatched the spear from the Egyptian’s hand and killed him with his own spear. Such were the exploits of Benaiah son of Jehoiada; he too was as famous as the three mighty warriors.

Did you catch that? He was being tracked by a lion, it falls into a pit, and he goes back after it, jumps into said pit, and kills it. He climbs out.

Far to often in my life I do not go after my fears and take them out when I have the chance. I run away hoping my "lion" just stays where it is at in the pit. However it was just temporary and in no time I am being chased again by my fears.

Secondly, I have started to surround myself with mighty warriors. I was asked why people need community or church. This is why, King David is stronger with his mighty men and valiant warriors. I am stronger with my mighty men and valiant warriors walking with me in life.

So what is the lion that is chasing you? What will you do when it falls into a pit? Continue to run and hope it does not return? What about jumping into the pit? Maybe grabbing a few of your warriors and going after this. Calling on your Abba to go after this lion with you. I believe we are better together because we are made for community.

This week:
Find one or two mighty men/women to walk with you in battle.
Identify the lion of fear/worry/doubt that is chasing you.

Ryan

1 comment: